Poverty in Pakistan has multi-faceted dimensions, resulted due to lack of income. Furthermore, people’s access to basic civic amenities including clean drinking water, sanitation, health services negatively impact their income as huge proportion of the population still deprived of them. Feminization of poverty has deeply impacted the country in general, and rural areas in particular- where approximately 60% of the population is living at present. Government of Pakistan back in 2008, initiated Asia’s largest safety-net program called Benazir Income Support Program, yet its outreach, quantum of funds and strategy requires radical changes. Women are disproportionately affected due to their low participation in labour force, discrimination in wage-rates, illiteracy, and inability to access high-end market. In order to defeat poverty it is imperative to root causes needs to be addressed. Initiative those improve peoples access to clean drinking water, primary health care, primary education, access to justice and guaranteed equal opportunity to participate in work force.
Program Objective for 2022
- Improve quality and quantity of agriculture production through adopting good practices for water efficient use and agriculture conservation.
- Extend technical assistance to farming community by importing their post-harvest management and produce marketing skills.
- Strengthening technical skills and capacities among youth and farming community in culturally sensitive occupations through identification of income generation and employment opportunities combined with appropriate vocational training.
- Contribute to create off-farm income generation activities for improvised section, particularly unemployed and marginalized men and women and youth.
- Create opportunities for women towards long-term empowerment, well-being and self-sustainability.
- Contribute to create safer workplaces for working women.
- Decrease incidents for women harassment both within their living compound and at workplaces.